Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Standards of Beauty--part #3
Is there a Klal Yisroel Type?

A comment on the red head posting has me scratching my head in puzzlement. The comment was "you don't expect Jews to be red heads." Why?

I used our community phone book and glanced through the names. For those I knew I tried to picture what they look like. I did the same for my extended family. Know what I found? We come in all the colors of the rainbow, in all sizes and in all shapes. We are blonds, red heads, and brunettes in every shading. We have examples of every possible eye color. We're very tall and we are very short and everything in between. There are no--yes no--distinct features that someone can point to and say "That is a Jewish physical trait." Even the old tired joke about Jewish noses doesn't hold true.

Know what? You can't really be accurate about any nationality as regards the physical. Italians are brunettes with dark eyes, right? Sure, except for the ones who are blond with light eyes. All Norwegians are blond? Sure, except for the ones who aren't.

Our clothing choices may make us easy to pick out of a crowd, but you can't do it on physical characteristics.

No comments: