Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For Want of a Nail

Someone commented to me that I was being too simplistic in some of the things I suggest as possible solutions to problems Klal Yisroel is having regarding shidduchim and tuition and other things. They said that the solutions were too small to have any affect. i don't agree. "A journey of a thousand days begins with a single step." If I were to follow this person's advice I would never attempt to do anything. After all, if I can't solve the whole problem why should I try to solve any of it?

The following rhyme was part of the "standard" reading when I was in elementary school. I still believe that it contains good advice.

(England, circa 1390)
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

As the saying goes, "it's the little things that count."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that the problem is getting people to take the first step. Everyone talks about taking the trip but they are waiting for someone else to do the work and make the reservations and pack the suitcases.

Anonymous said...

Because who wants to stand out by stepping out of line? It's bad for shidduchim...

Seriously. Reb. Jungreis wrote one week, with absolutely no shame, that she's been putting off addressing a certain topic until all her children are married.

Nobody wants to do anything to incriminate themselves and cast shame upon their children, grandchildren, and cousins.

It's better than any oppressive gov't could manage. We oppress ourselves.