Saturday, October 13, 2007

Standards of Beauty--part #2

What is it with parts of Klal Yisroel and red hair? I have never been asked by a man or woman that the person I find for them to meet have red hair; I have often been told that they won't go out with someone with red hair.

I personally saw the letter that went out a few years back from a Rosh Yeshiva in which red sheitlach were "ossured." Red is the color of "pritzus." Never mind that the woman's natural color is red, her shaitle must not be. What are the redheads of Klal supposed to make of this? My mother, pre-shaitle, was a redhead. Red hair shows up in our family in one form or another in every generation. My husband's family also abounds with redheads. Is someone seriously trying to say that those in Klal with red hair have been marked negatively?

I was redding shidduchim for an older bochur with a rather extensive "laundry list." I found a woman for him that met all the qualifications. He said he would check with his friends and get back to me. When he did get back to me the answer was "no." The woman had reddish hair. Given this man's level of frumkeit, I reasonably pointed out to him that his wife would be wearing a shaitle for most of the day, so he wouldn't be seeing any red hair. When not in a shaitle she would be wearing a tichel, and he wouldn't be seeing any red hair. And frankly, at night in the dark he also wouldn't be seeing any red hair. Just what was the problem?!

Where did this bias against redheads come from? Anyone know? I would truly like an answer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it. Redheads are cute.

Scraps said...

[puzzled look]

That's very strange. I never heard that before.

I like red hair. :)

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and was browsing and picked this first. My cousin is red haired and has had it happen a few times that a shidduch was turned down because of looks, meaning red hair. One guy tried to explain that you just don't expect jewish girls to have red hair. She's gorgeous and its this guy's loss.