Monday, October 22, 2007

Learning from Mother Nature

I like to think that nothing happens by accident. We may not know the reasons why something happened but there is really nothing random. I just had one of those "random" occurrences and I think I have figured out the reason why I had to see it.

We have a large yard that hosts a lot of different types of wildlife. A robin came down to look for worms in the grass a few minutes ago. I meant to rake the leaves on the grass yesterday and somehow didn't get around to it. The robin somehow got himself under a leaf that must have had something sticky on it. He couldn't get loose from the leaf. Just at the point where I was going to go out and try and help, although I had no idea how, a group of three robins flew down to where the stuck robin was chirping loudly. In short order the three grabbed at the leaf and got the stuck robin out.

So what did I learn? Even if we are all individuals we need to have a support group. Some things just cannot be done by one person alone. Four minds are better then one when there is a problem to be solved. I have no idea if these three robins "knew" the first robin, or if they were friends or relations. It didn't seem to matter. A robin in trouble is every robin's responsibility. Instinct you say? Then let's all applaud instinct. And let's hope that Klal Yisroel finds where it buried its instinct.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A robin in trouble is every robin's responsibility.

But I bet if that robin was a red robin that only red robins came to help it. The orange robins were too busy doing orange robin things. And the pigeons and sparrows and blackbirds were pointing at the stuck robin and saying "that's what happens when you don't act like a pigeon or sparrow or blackbird" And the wood peckers were pretending they never saw a robin and wouldn't know one even if they saw one. Substitute the names of some jewish groups fro the birds and you see a picture of what jewish living is like here.