Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Post Purim and Still Euphoric

One thing I've learned over the years is that you can plan and plan and plan and things will still go only one of two ways: right or wrong. Yesterday was one of those days that went right, very right. Shalach monos delivery went off without a hitch, bringing with it joyous greetings from family, friends and neighbors. The megillah leining was organized and, even though there were tons of little ones, everyone heard every word. I'm still trying to remember in which shul in my past I saw the traffic light that kept the noise at "Haman" under control, but our shul used that traffic light this year and it worked perfectly. The cooking went according to schedule, leaving me an unfrazzled hostess.

But perhaps the best part was that everyone came to seudah prepared to have a good time. Conversation was lively. The littlest ones all found new and welcoming laps to occupy. The two great-grandmothers at the table beamed as they looked at us, and yes, we beamed at the two great-grandmothers who decorated our table in the best way possible. Everyone dug into the food as platters whizzed around the table. Laughter was the spice of choice. There were three non-family members at the table last night who all fit in as if they were one of ours. When our guests, reluctantly, all headed for home, I faced the pile of dishes with a smile on my face.

Yes, the work was exhausting, and I still am not sure how I made it to my bed last night, but I would do it all again in a second for the beautiful memories that I will have forever of Purim this year. At this point in my life I recognize that it is not the things you own but the things you do that form the fabric of memory that wraps you around and keeps you warm.

I'm sitting with a hot cup of coffee and a head full of memories right now. I know that the other "P" word is coming down the road quickly, as well as all the other daily activities that life provides, but for right now they can stay on my to-do list. Right now it's still Purim for me. Rainy and cold outside? Doesn't matter, because I've got my Purim memories to keep me dry and warm. I feel a chuckle building up--one nephew and his family came all dressed up as birds; his sister and her family came all dressed up as bees. Yup, the birds and the bees were integral parts of seudah last night.

Purim is only over if you let it be over. Me, I'm stretching it out, waaaay out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Purim could be 8 days and I'd be happy but only if that other P holiday went down to one day.

G6 said...

AMEN TO THAT!!!!
Your post is beautifully written.
(two great grandmothers... what an awesome zechus :) )

Bas~Melech said...

You'll be pleased to hear I didn't encounter a single drunk person yesterday. A little high, maybe, but none too far gone.