Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Having Fun With Shalach Monos

Some people look at Shalach Monos as just one more chore to be taken care of. Some avoid the work by buying ready made packages or having a yeshiva or organization take care of the buying, preparing and delivering. In our house Shalach Monos is something we look forward to. Over the years the kids have always been involved in the process. We all put together the Shalach Monos and everyone is involved in delivering them. [I don't overlook the fact that any leftover goodies become snacks for the family as one reason for why they pitch in so gladly.]

Maybe one reason for why my family gets into Shalach Monos preparing the way they do is that it is different each year. We sort of theme the Shalach Monos, and then a poem is written connecting the theme to the Megillah and Purim. One year I found really cute tins in a horse shape with a rocking horse on the cover. The theme that year was a tongue in cheek appraisal of the events of the Megillah from the viewpoint of "Soos Ha'Melech." And there were horse-shaped sugar cookies included. Another year the theme was "drinking" and the Shalach Monos contained all kinds of drink fixings (strictly not alcoholic--think teabags and coffee packets and hot cocoa mix) and the pastry to go with them. I once found a one-quart measuring cup that became the "basket" for the Shalach Monos and the poem talked about doing things with a "shiur" and about what "immeasurable" harm Haman almost caused the Jews. I found cloth grocery bags a few years ago at a really good price and the Shalach Monos that year related to how Haman thought he had "everything in the bag" to eradicate the Jews. Another year I found small flower pots and the theme was about sowing and reaping what you've sown (and yes, lots of "flour" goodies in those "flower" pots).

"Cheap" stores are a great place to look for containers to send out the Shalach Monos in. I hate the thought of all those bags and baskets ending up in the trash, so I try to find items that people can use after they've eaten the contents. Years back I found one of those tall, closed plastic spaghetti storage containers, and the theme was that the King and Haman should have used their "noodles" instead of acting rashly (and yes, pasta and small cans of tomato sauce were part of the loot). This year I found a miniature plastic trash can and the poem deals with some of the garbage ideas that Achashverosh and Haman came up with that should have been trashed, and were (it doesn't hurt that Haman's daughter threw down garbage on her father's head, giving me a natural connection).

Sending out Shalach Monos is not only a mitzvah but can be a really enjoyable family undertaking as well. Get the kids involved and have some fun. Think outside of the box (or basket or bag, as the case may be). Get a little creative. And for heavens sake, have some fun with this! Preparing for a yom tov, Purim in particular, should be a joy and a pleasure, not a chore.

4 comments:

Something Different said...

I love your ideas! I think paying someone to make your shalach manos is like paying someone to go to the amusement park for you.
(And btw, I just noticed you don't like anonymous blobs. I'm not anonymous, but everyone knows I'm justablob ;)

Anonymous said...

Thought you'd appreciate this given the topic. I arrived in Brooklyn at a relative's house to deliver shalach monos with about 3-4 other people. My kids and I make our shalach monos and the kids do all the decorating of the packages. Yes it looks like kids did the decorating. All the others were delivering fancy packages that were purchased. One woman told another not quietly enough that we must be having money troubles and that explains the shalach monos. Isn't there any area that frum Jews aren't playing a money competition in?

Something Different said...

Omg, that's insane. I would wisper not-quietly-enough that that wan must be having shalom bayis problems because she doesn't have time to make shalach manos with her kids...

Orthonomics said...

Mine look kid decorated too! And some don't even get decorated because this kids find another activity after a good handful. Perhaps I should deliver a copy of of our balance statement along with the mishloach manot, lol!

As a person who has worked with a good number of individuals on their personal budgets, I would not at all be surprised if you have more assets than those delivering the fancy packages. (But, that's just me).