Thursday, March 17, 2011

At last, it's almost Purim!

Finally, finally my favorite yom tov is close to arriving. Mention Purim to me, no matter at what time of year, and I'm going to beam from ear to ear. I get into the Purim spirit early and for me it's all fun. I love the shopping and preparing for this yom tov. I can't wait to get out the mixer and start baking for shalach monos. In fact, I can only think of one thing that I don't like about this yom tov, and some of you who have been reading here know darn well what that is--the drinking.

Some day, some day I'm not going to have to mention the alcohol abuse. Some day people will come to their senses and see that what they are doing has very little with being sameach on Purim and way more with about indulging to excess in a harmful substance. Someday the vaunted brightness of Klal may actually triumph over its immature behavior.

I told myself this year I was not going to disturb my run up to Purim by posting a rant--if you want to know how I really feel about drunkenness on Purim just scroll down the posting lists on the right side and click on Purim. I ranted enough in other years to cover this year as well.

What I do want to do is wish all of you a freilachen Purim. May the light and joy of this yom tov shine over all of us. May this be a year of making wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. Enjoy your families and friends and pack away your serious thoughts until Purim is over.

2 comments:

JS said...

You can't make stupid people act intelligently.

That said, there are a lot of not so stupid people that drink themselves into oblivion because it's the only "religiously acceptable" way for them to let loose. That's a problem that can be addressed.

The Rebbetzin's Husband said...

פורים שמח!