Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road? To Avoid the Dentist

Avoidance behavior is a fairly common human trait; what we don't like to do or what we don't want to do we try to avoid with everything that is in us. I won't say that I never go to the dentist voluntarily; when nothing is wrong I make appointments for a cleaning and check up with no problem (okay, I'm not thrilled but I do it). But let there be a twinge anywhere in my mouth and I suddenly am so booked solid with projects that I couldn't possibly see the dentist for at least the next decade.

Unfortunately--or fortunately--for me, our dentist is the son-in-law of my hubby's best friend, and is also a neighbor of ours. Let me even tell my husband that I think I might be getting a toothache and he's on the phone to the dentist's wife, who calls me and tells me that she has made me an appointment and I had better be there. And so today I am heading for the dentist, willing or not. And the dentist knows and I know that the tooth that he has been trying to stabilize and save is going to "die" today. Pull a tooth? I'd rather deliver a ten pound baby without drugs.

I am reminded of that old saying: "We who are about to die salute you." I have spent some precious moments wondering if there is some way to summon up a rainstorm strong enough to close the bridge so that I can't leave the Island. Forget it--nothing is going to save me from this trip. Strange, I always consider myself as a strong person, one who isn't afraid to tackle the hard things, who isn't afraid of anything that life can throw at me. And then you mention the word dentist and I find myself becoming Chicken Little in the flesh.

I have to leave soon and I didn't want to leave without telling all you readers how much I have appreciated your coming here and "talking" with me. I plan on continuing my blogging. But I'm also going to the dentist today and who knows what turn life will take. I am talking, after all, about a man who approaches me with a hypodermic needle in one hand and a pair of pliers in the other, all the while telling me "This won't hurt a bit."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lack personal experience, but my wife, whose prepregnancy weight was 90 lbs., did deliver a 10 pound baby without drugs, and it was her easiest delivery (of 4). Good luck at the dentist.

Anonymous said...

You and my husband must be twins that were separated at birth. Mention the dentist to him and he turns white. I schedule all his dentist appointments for a Sunday and then I literally put him into the car and take him there. If I sent him by himself I don't think he would ever arrive. At least you should take comfort that you are capable of going by yourself even if you don't want to. Even so, having a tooth pulled is no fun. Hope it goes okay even if for selfish reasons--I'd like you to continue blogging.

G6 said...

Oh my dear, I do sympathize with you. I too have always said I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist.....
It's been years for me. Let me know how well it goes. Maybe you'll inspire legions of us to follow suit.
We are women, hear us roar... we can DO THIS!!! {retreating and crouching behind my soapbox now}
Wishing you well and one word of parting advice. WATCH THE PERCOCET. It's definitely not meant to be taken on an empty stomach and who can eat after tooth extraction???

Lion of Zion said...

oh man, i hate the dentist. just hearing the drill, even on tv, sends shivers up my spine (i'm getting shivers even just writing the word). i grip the armsrests in his chair so tight its a miracle i don't break them off. my son also has problems with the dentist, although he has legitimate reasons.

my dentist does have a painless laser (no shots necessary) that can be used in place a drill, but me teeth are so bad that he can't use it for me.

you are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Can't comment on the preferring childbirth to the dentist, being male, but I've had a colonoscopy if that counts, and I'd repeat it rather than sit myself into the dentist's chair. My company provides us with dental care as part of our health care package and I once asked how many people take advantage of the two cleanings and checkups they allow us per year. The answer was about what I expected--very few, except maybe for their young kids. The adults avoid it. Almost everyone takes the free yearly vision exam. My dentist advertises "painless dentistry"--should sue him under the truth in advertising laws. Good luck! And forget the Percocet--bourbon straight up.

G6 said...

Allen - colonoscopy is definitely NOT comparable to childbirth... sorry. {Not unless they use a 30 cm circumference probe and it lasts 12-36 hours.....}.
But there's just something about the dentist that makes me want to run and hide.

Anonymous said...

for you men: I have heard that the only pain that compares to childbirth is kidney stones...anything else is a nothingburger

Anonymous said...

Big deal that we've put a man on the moon. When they figure out how to make a soundless drill and painless dental work then they can crow about "one big step for mankind". I can really feel for you on this one. hope you understand when I say better you then me.

Lion of Zion said...

MICHELLE:

i know of 2 dentists (my own in brooklyn and my friend, who is a pediatric dentist in patterson) who have lasers. these make no noise and are painless (and don't require any type of anaesthetic). but they can't be used if you already have a filling in the tooth that needs work (hence he never gets to use it on me). then you have to go the old fashioned way.

ProfK said...

Just a brief update and a comment on the irony of life. The dentist shot me up with novocaine, not one of my favorite experiences. Then he asked me to use my tongue to move the loose tooth a bit so he could see how loose it really was. Since the tooth was numb I couldn't feel how much pressure my tongue was producing, and my tongue pushed that tooth right out of my mouth. Don't know who was more surprised, me or the dentist. No pliers, no pain and no blood. Go figure. All that agonizing beforehand and I was out of the chair in 10 minutes.

I'm hoping this will help adjust my attitude towards future visits but I'm not counting on it.

A Living Nadneyda said...

I did all my births without painkillers.... yet it took me until last year to decide, once and for all, to get over my hysterics regarding dentists... that a person who has inherited bad gums, as I have, must go to the dentist three times a year, if only to save myself agony later (not to mention tooth loss).

So good for you! I offer you encouragement and a feeling of accomplishment... and if it helps, reward yourself with whatever of life's little pleasures you've been wanting (a night at the movies, a new book or article of clothing), until the dentist becomes only another annoying chore...