Sunday, September 21, 2008

Haveil Havalim #183

The latest edition is up and available here:
Haveil Havalim #183

Please note: an email from a reader took me to task for linking to Haveil Havalim, claiming that he/she (no identification possible) was terribly offended by a few of the articles he/she found there. First, a roundup, like a newspaper, makes no stated promise that no reader will find anything of an objectionable nature to him or her. Two, I also make no claims of that nature. Go there, if you wish to, and read what you wish to. De gustibus non disputandum est--you can't argue taste.

2 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it. Your explanation about a roundup mirrors my own.

I have never agreed with everything that is in there, but it is among the easiest ways to get a sense of what is being discussed among the Jewish/Israeli blogosphere.

A couple more quick comments. If you don't like a particular post, don't read it. There is nothing that forces you to do so.

Beyond that I can tell you that I have received notes from people who are concerned that Haveil Havalim is going to lead people off of the derech.

My response is simple. If they hop off because of a post they read their position was never that secure, now was it.

Thanks again,

-Jack

Anonymous said...

had a discussion with someone once where he grudgingly admitted that some of the blogs are worthwhile reading. Then he mentioned the roundups and carnivals. Those he wasn't in favor of because people might be exposed to postings that would upset them or go against what they believe in.

My answer is like the Prof's and Jack's--if you don't like the title of a posting or if after you read a line or two you find yourself really disagreeing then stop reading. No one is holding a gun to your head.I like the idea of a roundup because I just don't have the time to go to all or even most of the Jblogs out there and the roundups help me to keep up with some of those blogs even if in a limited way.