Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My First Anniversary

Checking my files, my first posting on this blog appeared on September 2, 2007. Anniversaries are usually a time of celebration, but also of contemplation. So briefly (yes, I can "do short" on occasion), a run down of what this year has been like.

First, a thank you to Matt for turning me into a blogger to begin with, although I would imagine he still believes it's all my own fault. In registering to comment on his blog, at his invitation, I somehow clicked something and ended up with a blog of my own. Any complaints about the name of this blog, and there were a few in the beginning, can be blamed on having to choose a blog name al achas regel in 2 seconds. Thanks to bad4 who answered my emailed cry of "Help!" with practical suggestions on how to get started. And to both of them, if I never told it to you while in class, let me remedy that by saying that in the best teacher/student relationship the positions are many times reversed, with the students becoming the teachers. I applaud your teaching skills.

Someone asked me last week what my blog is about. Well, it's been in existence for a year now and I still have no concrete idea. I could say that the blog is about shidduchim and dating and marriage, and yes, it sometimes is that. But then it's also about education in all its permutations. And it's about the economics of being frum. And it's also about practices and behaviors in the frum community. And it's about activism and doing something, not just talking about doing something. Well, there are recipes and household hints sometimes. And there are occasional attempts at humor. It's sometimes about consumerism. It's sometimes about the English language. Sometimes it's about the absurdities of daily life. Sometimes it's strictly personal. There are times it's about nature. Sometimes it's about fiction, and sometimes it's about fact. Sometimes it's about the practical, and other times it goes off into the realm of the philosophical.

Sometimes the blog postings seem to explode out and I can barely keep up with the thoughts. Other times I can stare at an empty screen and glare with frustration when nothing seems to be coming to mind. Sometimes the blog feels like just another job that needs to be shoved into an already overcrowded schedule. Other times the blog is just the right place to be.

So yes, the blog is "about me." It's my words, my thoughts, my desires. It's eclectic because that's who I am. But it is not about me alone--it's about all of those who come here, who read, who comment. Were it not for you, the readers, I'd be spending an awful lot of time talking to myself. Instead, because of you, there have been some real conversations within Klal. For that I thank you.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now? You betcha!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only one year? Seems to me that I've been reading you for lots longer then that, and enjoying the reading too! Congrats and keep up the good work. By the way I like the variety of different subjects--keeps the boredom out.

Anonymous said...

Mazal tov! I enjoy reading and commenting here and it's nice to know that you enjoy writing for us also.

SuperRaizy said...

Congratulations on your blogoversary. Love reading your posts- they are intelligent, thoughtful, and always heartfelt.

Anonymous said...

Whatever your formula for postings please keep on with it. It makes for some very thoughtful reading. I don't always agree but you make your arguments logically and solidly.

mother in israel said...

Mazal tov! I don't remember when you started but when I discovered you you seemed to have always been around. . . I enjoy your thought-provoking posts. Thanks also for participating on my blog.

A Living Nadneyda said...

Mazal tov! That is quite an accomplishment, and from the sound of things, over the course of this past year you have influenced many people to make personal and community changes, as well as exposing them to new ideas and practical how-to's.

We'll be waiting for anniversary #2...

Anonymous said...

Congrats ProfK and thanks for practicing what you always preached to us.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed what you have written this year and hope that you continue. Congratulations.