Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lunch Is On Me

I added to the Shabbos Shira bird offerings today, and right now I'm watching an over-subscribed convention of chickadees having lunch on my bill. Frankly, they are acting like some people act when let loose at an all-you-can-eat-buffet. They're jostling each other to get at the goodies, although there is plenty for everyone. And no sooner does one chickadee ferret out a goodie than another comes and grabs a bite from it. The names of groups of birds I've always found fascinating--an exaltation of larks comes to mind--so I looked up what to call my group of chickadees. A group of chickadees are collectively known as a "banditry" and a "dissimulation" of chickadees. Given their lunchtime behavior "banditry" fits well.

Even as I sit and watch there are more birds arriving from the neighboring areas. I guess that everyone loves to grab a bargain. Pardon me while I go and mix up another batch of goodies for my guests--they have pretty much "licked the platter clean" and it's time to refill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really care about the rest of your home but I'd love to have your yard. Best my kids get to do for seeing any living creatures other than human beings is when I yell to my husband "Quick step on it before it gets away."

Anonymous said...

Very funny Shira. Thanks for the chuckle1 :)