Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter? No thank you

There aren't many things that I truly hate, but I make an exception for Winter. I am so not a cold, wet and mush person. And now the weather forecasters have mentioned the dreaded S word--snow. That will produce another hated item--slush. And for the last two weeks the weather has already brought two cases of major sniffles to the house. And if I'm reading the symptoms correctly, hubby has bypassed the sniffly cold and headed straight for the flu. My not-going-to-leave-the-house Friday is over as I head out to buy extra tissues and tea and decongestants and sanitizing hand lotion.

The only thing keeping me sane right now is that Shabbos will be here in a few hours. Somehow everything gets put into perspective once Shabbos arrives. The light from the Shabbos candles warms up even the dreariest day. Still, I think those animals who hibernate right about now are on to a good thing. Fall asleep at the end of Autumn and wake up in Spring? Yeah, I could go for that.

Ah well, off to shop, another one of the dreaded S words. Let me wish you a gutten Shabbos a bit early in the day--I've a feeling that this afternoon is going to be a rather full one with no time for leisurely greetings.

6 comments:

Rae said...

Hibernation is a great idea, only you'd be unhibernating just in time to kill yourself making Pesach.

Refuah shelaimoh to your family and have a good Shabbos.

G6 said...

My thoughts on snow in the city....
blech....

Miriam said...

Snow should remain a word in the dictionary. I HATE the stuff! Ex Californian who wonders all the time this time of year why I'm in NY.

Good Shabbos, and would be even better if the weatherman was wrong.

Duvi said...

Hey I just love snow. I like hearing about it in places like Denver and Alaska. I like looking at pictures of it covering the Rockies. Only thing I don't like is when it shows up where I am.

Anonymous said...

Not the popular response to this post but I really do love the snow and cold weather. You czan always put on another layer of clothing if you feel cold, with no limit. But when it's hot here in NYC there is a limit on how much clothing you can take off to get comfortable before they arrest you.

Anonymous said...

ProfK:
Of course the antidote to a snow expwerience is to moe to hotter slimes - such as a certain city in Nevada.
How are your moving plans going - is this likely to be your last snowy winter?
Chanukah sameach
Anon613-London