Friday, December 18, 2009

When the S Words Collide

It's Friday morning and Shabbos preparations are well under way. One S word present and accounted for. All the shopping for Shabbos was done yesterday. Another S word accounted for. And then the weather forecasters dropped another S word into my lap--Snow! This is one S word I am never ready for and would be thrilled if it were not present and accounted for.

I've been carefully following the weather predictions and each day the forecasters have added another inch or two of accumulation to the tally. What's worse is that they are now saying that the snow might continue into Sunday, another S word ruined. I don't mind snow when viewed on a postcard; I do mind having to deal with the aftermath of all that pretty snow once it has fallen. It brings with it all those other S words: slush and slippery and snarled and slow traffic. And if you are out there trying to deal with the shoveling--a truly nasty S word--then you are also likely to end up with another S word--sore muscles.

What can I say; I'm just not a fan of snow. So let me wish you all safe walking tomorrow and a truly restful and peaceful Shabbos--you're going to need it because Motzoai Shabbos is shaping up to be nasty.

5 comments:

Sara said...

The weatherman could be wrong. It happens all the time.

Mikeinmidwood said...

the weather man could be wrong about how many inches but not if it will snow at all, they usualy have a 99% accuracy on that.

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

Heh. Too much snow combined with needing to run around to get ready for Shabbos leads to another S word!

Masha said...

Well the snow made a mess here over Shabbos but at least the men could still get to shul. But the weatherman is saying it isn't finished yet. All the kids are hoping that means no school tomorrow. I hope so too--my turn to carpool and I so don't want to have to dig out the car early in the morning.

Leo said...

Had to walk to shul this morning because the city snowplows buried our cars when they cleaned the streets. Our shabbos guests here for a bar mitzvah aren't going home any time soon because their flight has been cancelled three times already. My sons don't have yeshiva today, a good thing because we are going to be playing treasure hunt and try and find the cars. Snow? Not an s word I want to see any more of.