Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Very Merry Unbirthday

Any of you who have birthdays that fall out around Tishe ba'Av should be able to sympathize with me about the "unfairness" of it all. My first major taanis that I had to fast on came out on my twelfth birthday--nary a cake in sight.

This year my birthday is one of those truly unique configurations of numbers--08/08/08. And it's also two days before the fast. My mother has three "official" birthdays (a long story) so one will for sure not be during the nine days, and she always gets a celebration that way. I'm considering opting for my mother's method and choosing a day somewhere in the calendar where there won't be a period of mourning, where there won't be a taanis or a chag, where there won't be a national holiday. I have to add in that it won't be midterm or finals time, won't be tax time and won't conflict with anyone elses birthday in the family. I'm not sure I'm going to find such a day.

I guess I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that tomorrow is going to be my unbirthday and next week I'll get to celebrate.

17 comments:

Rafi G. said...

happy birthday anyway. I have a daughter born on yom kippur and a son born rosh chodesh av, so I know what you mean....

SuperRaizy said...

Well, happy birthday to you. You should know that in the Chinese tradition, the number 8 represents prosperity, so having your birthday on 08/08 isn't too bad!

Anonymous said...

Have a happy birthday anyway. I can comiserate--I was born on Asarah b'Tevet. My mom was overdue with me and I always complained to her that if she was late anyway couldn't she wait just one more day.

Anonymous said...

An early happy birthday and an easy fast.

Knitter of shiny things said...

Some people will consider the time between their Hebrew and secular birthdays as their birthday period. Depending on the year that might give you a little more leeway, though it's not a perfect solution.

And happy early birthday!

Anonymous said...

I totally relate. My Hebrew birthday is the 4th of Av, secular birthday is August 7 (yup, today). But, what can you do? My brother's birthday is almost always on yom tov (he was born in October), so no candles on his cake. The is just to be happy to be alive, because even if the birthday is "eh," it's still better than the alternative!

Anonymous said...

Merry Unbirthday!

Orthonomics said...

Happy Birthday.

frumhouse said...

Happy birthday!

We have to wait until after Tisha B'Av to do my son's upsherinish, even though his birthday was last week. His bris was during the nine days - tons of people turned out just to have fleishigs!

Anonymous said...

Have a great unbirthday ProfK.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday and congratulations on being in the rare birthday club. There are only 12 years in every century where the dates can line up like yours is doing. Last one for this century will be in 2012. I'm a member too but mine was 05/05/05.

Orthonomics said...

BTW-We have been published. See the letters to the editor at Five Towns Jewish Times.

I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't sign a name, name. But I guess I still don't want to put a real name on my blog because there is something to not having your name all over the net.

A Living Nadneyda said...

Mazal tov!

Celebrating comes from inside, no matter when it happens, so celebrate with your whole heart!

ALN

Bas~Melech said...

Well, happy un-birthday then. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, it's worth noting that no signs of mourning are *allowed* on Shabbos - even to the point that not doing something due to Tisha b'Av that you would generally do is looked on at least askance (if not prohibited).
So bake the cake and enjoy it on August 9th.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! It could be worse you know. My birthday is April 15 and yes, I'm married to an accountant. He surfaces some time in May and we celebrate then.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!