Sunday, May 11, 2008

On Mothers Days

In the secular calendar in the US, today is Mothers Day. My husband, who is something of an iconoclast when it comes to legal holidays, has always held that every day is Mothers Day, and Fathers Day. I can't argue with him on the idea. Nonetheless, it has always given me a warm fuzzy feeling when the kids have singled out some time to tell me that I'm their special mom. I know this the rest of the year, but I am still a sucker for the mushy cards and the extra good wishes.

There is a Yiddish saying that translated comes out to "God only lends parents to children." We aren't a permanent part of the landscape, never changing, always there. Today I will take the time to say "I love you" for the gazillionth time to my own mother, and be very thankful that she is here for me to do that. Today I'll spend some extra time thinking of what it means to be a mother. Today, others will spend some extra time thinking of what it means to have a mother. Not a bad thing to do at all, and if calling the day "Mothers Day" will get us mothers some extra recognition, well why not?

However you choose to mark today, to the mothers among you "Happy Mothers Day," for today's mothers day and the other 364 days that are mothers days as well.

4 comments:

Leora said...

Happy Mother's Day, Prof. K. (or as my mother-in-law prefers, Happy Secular Mother's Day)

Anonymous said...

I don't make a big deal out of Mothers day but I do treat myself tonight to a take out supper. When the kids ask why I tell them it is a day for mothers to remember that they are someone special and to maybe give themselves a treat.

Jacob Da Jew said...

"Every day is Mother's Day"?????

Pleeze, does he give you a card EVERY DAY?!>?!

I think not. Truly he needs to get with the program, esp since you obviously appreciate the cards, so why not make you happY?

ProfK said...

Jacob,
My hubby skipped the card this year but replaced my computer monitor that had fried itself before mother's day with a 19" flat screen. Given the cost of the monitor and the cost of those Hallmark cards, I'll take the monitor. It will be a reminder every day that my husband was thinking of me.