Saturday, November 24, 2007

Forsake Thee All Others--Marriage and Friends

I got rid of a lot of stuff when I cleaned out the attic, but I did keep all the personal phone books I've had over the years. Amazing the people who are in some of those books. In a few cases, okay more then a few, I had to try and place the names with faces; I didn't really know who these people were. In other cases there was a smile as I remembered a long ago friendship, one not around any longer. It got me to thinking very seriously about this thing we call friendship.

When I was in third grade my best friend and I made a pact that we would be together as best friends for ever and always. That almost lasted until high school. My closest friend during high school I have not spoken to in dozens of years. The close friend I made the first night in the college dorm has remained my friend ad hayom. We don't see each other very often and we speak sometimes frequently, sometimes with a few weeks having passed. Neither of us gets insulted when that happens--we both know that "life" sometimes gets in the way of shmoozing.

When we lived in Flatbush my next door neighbor and I were instant "buddies" and we probably speak to each other now about once a year, before Rosh Hashanah. The woman who was my next door neighbor in the country for years was a good friend, both she and her husband and her family with me and my husband and my family. And then we stopped going to the country. And after a while phone calls started getting fewer and farther between and then they stopped altogether.

We have a large group of friends and acquaintances where we live now and around the city. And when my husband and I speak about our eventual retirement outside of New York City, we also speak of the people whom we are definitely going to keep in touch with and those who will inevitably fall by the wayside. There are fewer of the former and lots more of the latter.

When I got married I had a large circle of friends and so did my husband. We also had plenty of brothers and sisters and cousins. Not all of my friends were people my husband liked; not all of his friends were people I liked. Sometimes someone we both liked married someone that one or the other or both of us did not like. As a married couple we had "criteria" for friendship that were different then when we were single. Friendships waxed and waned. As siblings and close cousins got married the family got bigger and so did the various reasons for getting together as a family. And if it came down to attending a social event with a friend or attending a something given by a sibling, the sibling came first.

Some friends became simcha friends; they would be invited to a kiddush, a bar mitzvah or some other similar large occasion but not on a day to day basis. Other friendships simply faded away--some our choice, some their choice.

One thing remained constant: my husband. Did I have regrets about some of the friendships that faded away? Perhaps some, perhaps at the time, not now. I do not regret the journey I have gone on with my husband. I value the friends I do have, but I realize that my best friend, the one who knows me the best in the many ways that count for me, the one who will always be there for me, is my husband. My closest female friend and I have discussed this before. We've come to the conclusion that we have remained so close because neither of us would ever make it a showdown--your husband or me but not both. We both would choose our husbands. That allows us to understand each other much better.

I am very close to my youngest sister. We talk every day, sometimes multiple times. I am also very close to my mother. Between the two there is almost nothing I could not say that would cause them to view me in a funny light. Family also counts as friends.

Marriage does change friendship. There is simply not the same amount of time to spend that was there pre-marriage. Sometimes single friends don't understand this; sometimes they do. Married friends always seem to understand this, as they are going through the same things themselves. Change is an inevitable part of life; sometimes friends are lost because of that change. Sometimes that hurts; sometimes that doesn't.

It is small children who always say "Promise me that nothing will change!" Grownups know that change is a part of life. The longer you live, the more change that will happen. Friendships also are part of that change. I wouldn't want to be 18 again for any amount of money. And if that is the case, then the things I had and admired and needed when I was 18 might not fit me now either, including some friends from that time.

When I meet a friend from the long ago at a simcha we amiably chat and spend a few moments catching up but there are no bold declarations of "we really must get together again" because we know that is not going to happen. Too much water under the bridge.

Frost's poem "The Road Not Taken" needs to be looked at in a new light. That choice of "roads" doesn't just happen once in a person's life; it happens many, many times. Sometimes those who travel down those various roads with you remain the same; often they do not. Value your friends while you have them, go ahead and forge those friendships. Some will last; others will not. C'est la vie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that's what hurts so much sometimes. The decision to end the friendship or make it less then it was doesn't seem to be both of our decisions but only the married friends choice. It looks like married people have a lot of things they get to do that singles can't including deciding whether a friendship is going to stay alive or not. Just because that is life doesn't mean it has to feel good or that it won't hurt.

Anonymous said...

We've lived in 3 different places in 5 1/2 years of marriage. We started over with making friends 3 different times. Sure we still have some friends from before we were married but not anywhere as many. I used to think I could have everything, my past and my present and I could manage them both. I can't. Yes it hurts sometimes but sometimes it's a matter of choosing, and I choose the best friend who has moved with me all 3 times, my husband. Thanks for showing it from the married person's view. usually we are the ones that get blamced for everything.

Anonymous said...

Come on, being friends is not about being single or married. It's about either you give a damn or you don't. Someone who can easily dump a friend wasn't much of a friend to begin with.

Anonymous said...

When we got married my in laws refused to have a separate part of the wedding for simchas choson vkalah. Either people were invited for the whole wedding or they weren't. We had to limit the guest list. Who got invited were the people who were really our friends not just the ones we went to school with or said hello to in the morning. And it was plenty lebidik. At first it bothered me but I can see that it made sense looking at it now. It made us really look at who was a close friend and who wasn't.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the problem is that friends are not all the same but we try to make out that they are. You can't be best friends with everyone, best can only be one. After that there are degrees. I doubt that a married woman stops talking to all her friends. I bet that the "best" friend still gets a call and still calls.

Anonymous said...

Teachers in high school really have a problem with this. If you go to one wedding you are invited to then you have to go to them all, and that is just plain impossible. I don't go to any but send a nice mazel tov letter to each kallah who invites me. The only exceptions are if the girl is the daughter of friends where I would go because of that friendship. And some girls have gotten hurt when I do that.The teacher and student relationship is not about ffriendship but too many students see it that way.

Anonymous said...

We could avoid the problem if we would use two words--friends and acquaintances. Friends are less in number. Friends are the ones who may actually know how much you weigh and won't care anyway. Acquaintances are people you are friendly to but aren't on the top tier of friends. No one has only friends. usually it's the acquaintances who are the ones that get dropped out of your life if you find it changing and don't have the same amount of time.