Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Reader With a Problem

Someone arrived at the blog today and is not a happy camper. A couple of other of this person's comments I simply published, but the following one I'm showcasing all on its own. I'm not sure whether to think I've "arrived" in the blogosphere when I start getting modified "hate mail," or to laugh at the absurdity. Since I've taken a vow of "chipperness" for Adar, and tomorrow's Rosh Chodosh, I'll throw this out for reader comment, unless, of course, you've all taken the same vow.

The commenter, who signed as "frima," and who could be male or female, had this to say.

"Why do you write these things that are such poison for our children to hear? I only read just enough to know that there is nothing here that frum people should be reading. You make fun of halachah and of rebbers and of daas torah. You have no right to say such things that are hateful for the frum olam and for frum jews. Women have no busines to be be writing in the public and saying things against the men of our community. You do not know your place that Hashem has given to women and you intice our people to sin with you. I cannot believe that your husband can know what you are doing and can be maskim to it."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Admittedly I haven't read all of your posts but from those that I have I'm trying to figure out exactly what 'frima' is objecting to so forcefully. I certainly don't agree with several of your opinions but I don't see objectionable material anywhere. There are some odd people out there/here.

Anonymous said...

Frima obviously doesn't catch the irony here. If he or she is free to say what they want on a blog then you are also free to say what you want to. If you aren't to be allowed to say what you want then Frima can't either. And I'm leaning towards Frima being a male.

Bas~Melech said...

I will admit to being pretty touchy about these things; I am very wary of things like making fun of halacha, rebbes, daas torah, etc. I haven't been reading so long, but ProfK is a prolific poster so I've seen a lot in this short time. I don't find any of her posts problematic. There is criticism, but it is certainly not "hateful," and not against any daas Torah that I know of. It is simply a legitimate attempt to help people analyze and evaluate what we do.

Gave A Get said...

Huh?

the apple said...

Ooooookay.

Some people need to get a life, and get off the internet.

Anonymous said...

Someone was trying to get to Yeshiva World and got here by accident. Maybe his/her doctor should ban them from the internet for health reasons. Obviously under a lot of mental stress.

Jack Steiner said...

Frima needs to find something better to do with her time.

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying that frima is correct about the content in this blog because I don't find anything at all like frima is complaining about, but I wonder if she has anywhere else that she can say what she wants to say and so it all came out here? Lots of people in the really frum crowds who are stiffled in the real world and when they get to a blog they let loose and don't see how their words are going to be seen by others. They don't have any real experience in polite disagreement. Very sad really.

halfshared said...

Am I the only one who thinks that this Fruma is actually a man trying to have fun. The post and the way it was written smells fishy..

ProfK said...

Half,
I wondered that at first because no one could be so over the top, or so I thought. Then someone sent me to Yeshiva World to read about the wig store controversy, and frima is understated by comparison to huge numbers of the commenters on that site. I haven't seen so much venom spilled in one place since I saw an Imax film on poisonous snakes of the Amazon Jungle. And if this is someone's idea of having fun, I'm not laughing.

Orthonomics said...

Obviously you have hit bloger success if you are getting hate mail. Early on into blogging a commenter wished that I would be raped after commenting on possible chinuch issues following the Boro Park incident/riot that was televised on my local news station, far from Boro Park. If you are getting hate mail, you must be saying something that needs to be said!

ProfK said...

Good grief sephardilady. There are truly sick people out there.