Sunday, September 9, 2012

First Days

The first day of the Fall Term is tomorrow for me.  You would think that after this many years of teaching, the first day would be just another day at work.  Wouldn't that be nice.  One thing I've learned over the years is that every term is different, is unique, and because of this I prepare myself to expect the unexpected. 

What doesn't change from term to term is my hope that the students in my classes will learn well, will become accomplished in the subject matter, will be active participants in their education.  Sometimes, with some students, that hope is fully realized.  Sometimes that hope is only partially realized.  And yes, sigh, sometimes there are the students who are simply passing time in my class and whose only goal, it seems, is to see the semester finally end.

Nonetheless, I can't wait for classes to start tomorrow.  I'm that cockeyed optimist who is sure that this time, everything will go splendidly.  I'm still dreaming about having a "perfect" term, one where both all my students and I are truly sorry to see the end of the semester coming.  Dreams are what fuel changes in reality, and wouldn't it be nice if this dream were to actually come true now.  Here's hoping.

No comments: