Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A New Take on An Old Song

Chanukah has arrived, and with it comes songs that have become traditional here in the States. One of those "must sings" is the dreidle song. You know, the one that begins "I have a little dreidle, I made it out of clay." I ran across an interesting site--THE HAVA NASHIRA SITE,A JEWISH SONGLEADERS RESOURCE--that offers a whole slew of new takes on this old song. I'm reproducing some of their offerings below in the hopes that a good laugh will overcome the nastiness the weather is slinging outside the windows.

Compiled by Marcy Mirkin
I have a little dreidel I made it out of wood And when I spin my dreidel I always feel so good
I H A L D I made it out of plastic And when I spin my dreidel I always feel fantastic
I H A L D I made it out of bread It looked so very yummy I ate it up instead
IHALD I made it out of snow But when I looked last summer Where did my dreidel go?
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of glass, My mom says I can spin it, But only on the grass!
I have a little dreidel, It’s made out of a shoe, It smells a little funny, But what can you do?
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of fur, It was warm and cuddly, And the spinning made it purr!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of snow I baked it in the oven... Where'd my dreidel go?
I have a little dreidel, I carved it from a log And when I threw it on the floor it nearly killed the dog
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of plastic I put a gimel on every side, that dreidel is fantastic!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of soap I carved a shin on every side, why am I such a dope?
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of soap I put it in the bathtub To see if it would float
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of glue The baby tried to spin it, and now she's spinning too
I have a little dreidel, I made it from cement And now our lovely hardwood floor has a nasty dent
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of gin That dreidel wouldn't turn, but the room began to spin
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of pasta It got all tangled in my hair, and now they call me "rasta"
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of gum, And when I tried to spin it, it stuck to my thumb!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of fire, I tried to tell my mommy, she thought I was a liar!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of dirt, And when I tried to spin it, I got a dirty shirt!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of egg, I dropped it on the floor one day, and the yolk spun down my leg!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of cloth, I put it in the closet, it got eaten by a moth!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of pencils, And when I tried to spin it, it made a circle stencil!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of pearls, I showed it to my friends, it's the envy of the girls!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of ice It melted when I spun it, that wasn't very nice!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of meat I can't stand to be near it it smells just like my feet
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of mud and when I tried to spin it, I found it was a dud
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of pot and when it started spinning, I just sat and stared at it a lot
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of shmaltz it don't make healthy eatin' but, that dreidle sure can waltz
I made a little dreidle in virtual reality. If you wear the right headgear, it's there for you to see.
I had a little dreidle, I made it out of latke. I left it on the shelf and it turned into vodka.
I had a little dreidle, I made it out of sand, but when I went to spin it, it crumbled in my hand.
I had a little dreidle, I made it out of air, but when I went to spin it, it wasn't even there!
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of clay, Said a Kabbalistic blessing and it got up and walked away
I had a little dreydl, I made it from a broom I think I'll try to talk it into cleaning up my room
I had a little dreydl, I made it from a bush But, when I tried to lift it, It knocked me on my tush
I had a little dreydl, I made it out of meat Forget about the spinning, let's all sit down and eat
I had a little dreydl, I made it from a guitar And if it's not too heavy, I will put it in my car.
I have a little dreidl, I made it out of metal And if it doesn't spin at all, I'll use it for a kettle!
I have a little dreidl, I made it from gefilte fish My mother served it for Shabbat, but it spun right off my dish!
I had a little dreidl, I made it out of a Reese's peanut butter cup; I never got to play with it, because I ate it up!
I have a little dreidl, I made it on my pc It's really fun to spin it in virtual reality.
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of rice it wasn't great for spinning, but it tasted rather nice
I have a little dreidle, I made it from a chip and when I tried to spin it, it jumped into the dip
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of lox it tastes good on a bagel, but it smells worse than my socks
I have a little dreidle, I made it out of straw! It went 80 miles an hour, and broke the speeding law!!
I have a little dreydle, I made it out of mud, and when I went to spin it, it fell down with a thud.
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of clay, and when I tried to eat it My tummy went "oy vey"
I have a little dreidel, I made it from a stone A little doggie ate it, cause he thought it was a bone!
My dreidel's very lucky, it wins at every game I¹ll let you know my secret, the letters are all the same!
I had a little dreydle, I made it in my mind, and imaginary dreydle, is the hardest one to find.
Yesh li sevivon katan, asui mizahav, Hu matana meabba, bo, n'sachek achshav
I have a little dreidel, it¹s made out of guitars, I put it in a rocket ship, and it blasted right off to Mars!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of wood My little brother ate it cause he thought it tasted good!

Compiled by Rick Lupert
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of chocolate, but when I went to spin it, it had melted in my pocket.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of mud and when I tried to spin it I found it was a dud
I have a little dreidel I made it out of pot and when it started spinning I just sat and stared at it a lot
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of bread, It looked so very yummy, I ate it up instead!
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of Jelly beans. And when I tried to spin it, it blew to smithereens.
I have a little latka, I made it out of clay And when I tried to eat it, my stomach said Oy Vey!
I had a little dreidel I made it from a broom I think I'll try to talk it into cleaning up my room
I had a little dreidel I made it from a bush But, when I tried to lift it, It knocked me on my tush
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of a road. And when I tried to spin it, it smashed a little toad.
I had a little dreidel, I made it from a rock. But when I tried to spin it, it turned into a block.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of hair. When I tried to spin it, it was just barely there.
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of dust. But when I tried to spin it, it blew away with a gust
I have a little dreidel, I made if from a stone, A little doggie ate it, he thought it was a bone.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of light, But for some strange reason, it only works at night.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of wood, I set it on fire, then it didn't spin so good.
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of wood, and when I went to spin it, it spun just like it should.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of wood, My little brother ate it, he thought it tasted good.
I had a little dreidel I made it out of meat Forget about the spinning Let's all sit down and eat
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of meat I can't stand to be near it -- it smells just like my feet
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of string, And when I went to spin it, it began to sing.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of spice, And when I went to spin it, it smelled really nice.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of light, But for some strange reason, it only works at night.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of bubbles, But whenever I spin it, I can only see in doubles.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of pickles, And when I put it on my hand, it always spins and tickles.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of leather, And when I throw it in the air, it grows a little feather.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of broccoli, and when it's dry and ready, I fed it to my doggie
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of metal And if it doesn't spin at all, I'll use it for a kettle!
I have a little dreidel, I made it from gefilte fish My mother served it for Shabbat, but it spun right off my dish!
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of a Reese's peanut butter cup I never got to play with it, because I ate it up!
I have a little dreidel, I made it on my pc It's really fun to spin it in virtual reality.
I have a little dreidel, I made it out of Boron It spun into my SEND key, So tell me, who's the moron?
I have a little dreidel I made it out of rice it wasn't great for spinning but it tasted rather nice
I have a little dreidel I made it from a chip and when I tried to spin it it jumped into the dip
I have a little dreidel I made it out of lox it tastes good on a bagel but it smells worse than my socks
I have a little dreidel, I made it in my mind, my imaginary dreidel is very hard to find.
yesh li sevivon katan asui mizahav hu matana me-abba bo, n'sachek achshav

From Linda Barton
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of glass My mom said when I spin it, to spin it on the grass.
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of wood, and when I went to spin it, it spun just like it should.
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of ice, but when I went to spin it, it melted...that's not nice!!
I had a little dreidel, I made it out of mud, and when I went to spin it, it fell down with a thud. (a real stretch!)

Compiled by Mike Duchin
IHALD, I made it out of air, and when I tried to spin it, it wasn't really there.
IHALD, I made it out of bread, it looked so very yummy, I ate it up instead.
IHALD, I made it from a bush, but when I tried to lift it, it knocked me on my tush!
IHALD, I made it from a broom, I think I¹ll try to talk it into cleaning up my room!
IHALD, I made it from cement, and now our lovely hardwood floor has a nasty dent
IHALD, I made it from a chip, and when I tried to spin it, it jumped into the dip
IHALD, I made it out of chocolate, but when I went to spin it, it had melted in my pocket.
IHALD I made it out of clay, and when I tried to eat it, my tummy went "no way"!
IHALD, I made it out of cloth, I put it in the closet, it got eaten by a moth!
IHALD, I made it out of dirt, and when I tried to spin it, I got a dirty shirt!
IHALD, I made it out of dust, but when I tried to spin it, it blew away with a gust
IHALD, I made it out of egg, I dropped it on the floor, and the yolk spun down my leg!
IHALD, I made it out of fire, I tried to tell my mommy, she thought I was a liar!
IHALD, I made it out of fur, it was warm and cuddly, and the spinning made it purr!
IHALD, I made it from a guitar, and if it's not too heavy, I will put it in my car.
IHALD, it¹s made out of guitars, I put it in a rocket ship, and it blasted right off to Mars!
IHALD, I made it out of glue, the baby tried to spin it, and now she's spinning too!
IHALD, I made it out of gum, and when I tried to spin it, it stuck right to my thumb!
IHALD, I made it out of hair, when I tried to spin it, it was just barely there.
IHALD I made it out of ice, it melted when I spun it, which wasn't very nice.
IHALD, I made it out of Jelly beans, and when I tried to spin it, it blew to smithereens.
I have a little latka, I made it out of clay, and when I tried to eat it, my stomach said Oy Vey!
IHALD, I made it out of leather, and when I throw it in the air, it grows a little feather.
IHALD, I made it out of light, but for some strange reason, it only works at night.
IHALD, I carved it from a log, and when I threw it on the floor it nearly killed the dog
IHALD, I made it out of lox, it tastes good on a bagel, but it smells worse than my socks
My dreidel¹s very lucky, it wins at every game, I¹ll let you know my secret, the letters are all the same!
IHALD I made it out of meat, forget about the spinning Let's all sit down and eat
IHALD, I made it out of metal, and if it doesn't spin at all, I'll use it for a kettle!
IHALD, I made it in my mind, an imaginary dreydle, is the hardest one to find.
IHALD, I made it out of an orange, it spun so fast and crazy that it smacked into a door hinge!
IHALD, I made it out of pasta, it got all tangled in my hair, and now they call me "rasta"
I have a little dreidl, I made it on my pc, it's really fun to spin it in virtual reality.
IHALD, I made it out of pearls, I showed it to my friends, it's the envy of the girls!
IHALD, I made it out of peas. When I tried to spin it, it dripped right down my knees.
IHALD, I made it out of pencil, and when I tried to spin it, it made a circle stencil!
IHALD, I made it out of pickles, and when I put it on my hand, it always spins and tickles.
IHALD, I made it out of plastic, I put a gimel on every side, that dreidel is fantastic!
IHALD, I made it out of a Reese's peanut butter cup, I never got to play with it, because I ate it up!
IHALD, I made it out of a road, and when I tried to spin it, it smashed a little toad.
IHALD, I made it from a rock, but when I tried to spin it, it turned into a block.
IHALD I made it out of sand, and when I spun my dreidle, it slipped right through my hand.
IHALD, I put it on the shelf, and if you'd like more verses, you can make them up yourself!!
IHALD, it's made out of a shoe, it smells a little funny, but then what can you do?
IHALD, I made it out of snow. But when I looked last summer, where did my dreidel go?
IHALD, I made it out of soap, I put it in the bathtub to see if it would float
IHALD, I made it out of spice, and when I went to spin it, it smelled really nice.
IHALD, I made it from a stone, a little doggie ate it, cause he thought it was a bone!
IHALD, I made it out of straw! It went 80 miles an hour, and broke the speeding law!!
IHALD, I made it out of string, and when I went to spin it, it began to sing.
I made a little dreidle in virtual reality. If you wear the right headgear, it's there for you to see.
IHALD, I made it out of wood, my little brother ate it cause he thought it tasted good!

Attributed to Robin Selinger
I have a little dreidel Made from a CD-ROM It helped me launch a start-up Called DreidelSpin-dot-com!

http://ot006.urj.net/

No comments: