Monday, September 27, 2010

Hurray for Yom Tov

The past month has been fraught with some tension as my mom ended up in the hospital not once but twice, and no one quite knew just what it was that was causing her to feel unwell. She was so not a happy camper, having to spend Yom Kippur in the hospital. And me? I was not happy because she was unwell and also because for only the second time in my life I was not going to be spending sukkos together with my mom.

Well, there's an old Yiddish saying, usually applied to things we don't want or that can harm us: "foon vie sot gekommen, aheen zol is geyen"--from wherever it came from, let it go back there. Apparently whatever was bothering mom listened and headed out. And we are all gleeful that mom is going to be coming to us for the second days of sukkos. All is now right in our little world and we can't wait to have her here. I was in something of a funk Sunday morning, really not looking forward to getting into harness again and bonding with my pots and kitchen. And then the news came, and right now I have enough energy to not only cook up a storm but to cook up a category 5 hurricane.

Sure, we all like to eat something that appeals to us, but for my family it's not so much what is on the table as it is who is around the table, and with mom coming yom tov is going to be lustig and freilich.

Let me wish you all a gutten yom tom, and may your hearts and spirits be as well fed as your stomaches are sure to be.

2 comments:

Abba's Rantings said...

hope your mom's refu'ah was shelemah and permanent!

G6 said...

I'm so happy for you!!!

Enjoy the family "moments". You certainly have an appreciation for them :D

Gut Moed