Monday, April 6, 2009

Why Not Add to the Insanity?!!

Someone near and dear to me was aware that I had somehow gotten myself way ahead this year and was having a kind of boring day with nothing to do. She called to let me in on the newest "shtick" making the rounds. I could tell you that people have singly and collectively lost their minds, but I'll let you decide.

It is not only in Israel that there are hagoloh stations for kashering chometzdike keylim for Pesach; they exist in many of the NYC communities. A friend of the person who related the story to me was in a hurry to get to one of these local hagoloh stations. "What are you kashering?" was the question asked.

"Oh nothing. I need to get some of the t'veelas kaylim water."

"Whatever do you need this water for?"

"Well, you bring the water home and make sure it has cooled down. Then you use it to wash nagel vasser. Then you take some of the water and pour it over your right knee and down your leg and then over your left knee and down your leg. It's a segulah for a shidduch."

I was floored when I heard it the first time, and typing it now I am still floored. I have spent the last few hours trying to find a connection, any connection, even a tenuous connection between this water and shidduchim. I can't even make up a far fetched connection. My opinion? This one ought to come in the area of "kishiv machen"--witchcraft--and wherever it came from it should have been killed at birth.

12 comments:

SuperRaizy said...

Wow. I am struck speechless by this level of stupidity.

Scraps said...

[blank stare]

Please, please, tell me you're joking. April Fool's, a few days late, right? Right?! Please...?

G6 said...

Were you able to find this written up anywhere else?!?!?
Pitiful... that's what it is...
I get even more upset when people prey on unsuspecting/desperate/fearful/good-hearted singles for tzedakah purposes. "Everybody who gave to my tzedakah last year got engaged! It's a segulah!" Who wants to lose such an opportunity?
We're looking more and more like a cult every day....

Ya'akob ibn Avi Mori said...

Just another proof that we have strayed a long long way from the Am chacham vnavon that we once were ( well at least the majority has)

harry-er than them all said...

thats awesome! i wish i could make up some insane shidduch/parnoso segulah that people will do.
hmmm how about washing their hair with chocolate?

Anonymous said...

Either kissuf or just plain old kvatch!!!

Mark

Zach Kessin said...

I wonder is there someone who makes this stuff up just to screw with people. If so they are doing a good job

Anonymous said...

Of course there's probably a charge to take the water: a segulah in kishuf gains credibility if you have to pay for it!!!
Chag kasher v'sameach
Anon613-London

nmf #7 said...

Okay- that's just plain crazy. It's for sure kishuf!! (That is, if it works. If it doesn't it's just plain ludicrous.)

Bas~Melech said...

LROFL!!!

*speechless*

Knitter of shiny things said...

Speaking of crazy water things- are they selling the kosher for passover salt water again this year? If someone could take a picture of a jar/bottle of it and send it to you to put on the blog that would be amusing. I don't live in a frummy enough area for them to be selling it locally, so I've never seen it.

Gila said...

And to think I did hagala myself, at home. So I could not get any of the official hagala water.

Hmmm....no shidduch for me this year, I suppose.

People are really barking mad....